How do you know if you or your teen is in need of video game addiction treatment? You may be noticing your teen playing games all of the time, but so do most of his friends. But how can you know when video games have become too much, and there is a real problem going on, one that requires gaming addiction treatment. Here at Pathways Real Life, our therapists are always here to help. When you call us at (801) 895-3006 you'll be put directly in touch with a therapist who can help you determine if the problem requires video game addiction therapy.
How to Stop Video Game AddictionThe first step in combating video game addiction is learning what it is and then assessing if there is a problem. Video games are a great pastime, whether they are just a way to blow off a bit of steam at the of the day or a serious hobby. But when they become an addiction is when it becomes a problem.
What Makes Someone a Video Game Addict?A video game addiction is just like gambling addiction and is classified as such in the DSM-V, which is the diagnostic manual for all mental health conditions. It is classified as a clinical impulse control disorder. This is also how addictions to substances are classified as well. And just like with substance abuse addiction, the person suffering from a video game addiction will require more and more access to video games over time, and also may experience symptoms of withdrawal when they are not playing video games.
The Signs and Symptoms of Video Game AddictionHere are some of the symptoms which the DSM-V lists as indicating that a person might have a video game addiction:
- Thinking about video games all (or nearly all) of the time.
- Feeling bad when they can't play.
- Constantly having to spend more time playing to feel good.
- Being unable to stop playing or reduce playtime.
- No longer enjoying other things besides video games, including what they used to enjoy.
- Lying about how much they are playing.
- Using video games to ease difficult emotions.
- Having problems at work, school or in relationships directly related to video gaming.
- Continuing to play despite the problems.
Why Choose Pathways for Video Game Addiction Treatment in Utah?
- Financing and Insurance Payment Options
- Inpatient & Outpatient Treatment
- Evidence-based programs unique to each client
- Find REAL solutions
- Legit Script Certified
- Pathways team is available 24/7
- Free Assessments