Experiencing trauma from domestic violence, sexual abuse or childhood events can affect every aspect of your life, but there is a way to overcome it and build a healthier future. Pathways Real Life Recovery provides trauma therapy to help become a healthy, whole person. We offer trauma therapy for adults, adolescents, and children at our facility in Sandy, Utah. We use treatment methods that are designed to empower you and help restore healthy psychosocial function, as well as a sense of control and dignity. We’ll help you come up with a personalized treatment plan based on your individual needs. If you or a loved one is dealing with unresolved trauma, we encourage you to contact us for a free assessment opportunity today.
Signs You Should Seek Trauma Therapy
It can be difficult to determine whether or not you should seek help for trauma. If you experience one or more of the following signs, please get in touch with us about trauma therapy:
- Feeling as though you are reliving or re-experiencing trauma
- Withdrawing from social interactions
- Exhibiting avoidance behaviors
- Feeling hyper-aware or hyper-alert
- Having the same nightmaresor frequent nightmares
- Experiencing overpowering sadness or a sense of hopelessness
- Having explosive anger
- Thinking and talking about attempting suicide
- Having a sense of fearfulness, worry or anxiety that does not go away
- Losing interestin activities you used to enjoy
- Having a sudden or unexplained drop in academic grades
- Having difficulty with decision making, thinking clearly or concentrating
- Having a desire to be alone instead of with your loved ones
- Exhibiting behavior that is self-destructive or dangerous
- Having a recommendation from your doctor or school for therapy
Treatment for Trauma
There are several approaches to treating trauma, including the following:
- Interpersonal Therapy: IPT is a treatment that focuses on interpersonal issues and is often used on a short-term basis for depression.
- Mindfulness-based Cognitive Therapy: This involves using both mindfulness meditation and cognitive techniques to help you learn how to manage negative thoughts and emotions.
- Art Therapy: This treatment method involves using art to allow you to explore your feelings and practice self-expression in order to reduce stress and resolve emotional conflicts.
- Trauma-focused Play Therapy: This treatment approach for kids involves using self-directed play sessions to help them get in touch with their emotions, manage experiences that frighten them and gradually understand the trauma they have been through.
- Intensive Family Therapy: This type of treatment involves coming to your home and providing therapy to your entire family in order to help all family members cope with trauma.
- Prescriptions: Antidepressants, anti-anxiety medications, and other prescription medications are sometimes used to help people manage psychological symptoms more effectively, which can help the recovery process.
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy: This treatment method involves learning behavioral skills, such as mindfulness, distress tolerance, interpersonal effectiveness and emotion regulation, in order to deal with trauma.
Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT)
Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT) is a treatment approach typically used for children and adolescents who have experienced trauma. It involves having children and parents or caregivers learn how to understand and manage thoughts and emotions associated with trauma. This evidence-based approach integrates more than one treatment approach used for those who have experienced trauma, such as cognitive therapy, behavioral therapy and family therapy. In addition to helping children learn to manage trauma-related emotions, it also helps parents and caregivers learn skills that allow them to support children as they recover. TF-CBT also helps children understand that they are not responsible for the trauma they have experienced.
Domestic Abuse Therapy
Domestic abuse therapy helps those who have been victims of domestic violence deal with the trauma they have experienced. It is designed for those who have been victims of domestic abuse, as well as those who have witnessed it in the home, such as children. This type of therapy can include different approaches, such as individual counseling, play therapy for children or group therapy, to help you learn how to manage your emotions in a healthy manner. It also teaches you how to set boundaries with others and how to recognize signs of abuse. Our domestic abuse therapy at Pathways provides you and other family members, including children, with a safe place to discuss your experiences.
Rape and Sexual Abuse Therapy
Rape and sexual abuse therapy involves different treatment approaches. The type of approach that works most effectively depends on individuals and their experiences with sexual trauma. Some of the types of therapy that are used for rape and sexual abuse include supportive counseling, prolonged exposure therapy, stress inoculation therapy, eye movement desensitization reprocessing and cognitive processing therapy. Some of these, such as stress inoculation therapy, use cognitive behavioral therapy approaches, while others focus more on managing symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder. Prolonged exposure therapy involves having those who have experienced sexual abuse or rape talk about what they have been through several times in order to desensitize them. Supportive counseling, which is typically used shortly after trauma has occurred, involves having a counselor or therapist offer unconditional support.
Pathways Offers Compassionate Trauma Therapy in Utah
When you need trauma therapy, Pathways is here to help.Our skilled counselors, recovery specialists, and therapists work with you to create a customized treatment program based on your needs, rather than having you follow a general treatment plan. The treatment methods we use are researched and evidence-based. Keep in mind that all of our staff members are available around the clock, so you can always reach out to us when you need help or have a question or concern. You won’t end up getting a recording or an answering machine when you call.