One in ten people in this country suffer from some type of dependency on drugs or alcohol. Today, that equals to approximately 23.5 million Americans. People who have suffered from an addiction and sought help through rehabilitation services have only just begun their journey as a clean and sober individual. Once they leave the privacy and intensive care of a rehab facility, they must learn to adjust to everyday life that can be filled with challenges. Here are 5 tips to help your loved one begin their journey sober, post-rehab.
1. Adjusting Requires Help
- Returning to their lives requires the help of those who are closest, such as friends and family. The stronger their support system, the more likely they will maintain their sobriety.
- Knowing there are people to lean on when times are tough gives people battling addiction hope. They know they have people to rely on when they need someone to talk to or to assist them with steps in their recovery.
2. Focus On Positive Things In Life
- Focusing on positive parts of life and healthy habits can help make the process of recovery much easier. Having something else to focus on is really an excellent method to help adjust right after their rehab.
- Taking up new hobbies and doing volunteer work are also excellent options for people who need to fill their calendars with worthwhile activities.
3. Remove Any Drugs And Alcohol From Their Everyday Environment
- If you are helping someone with their recovery, you must be sensitive to their issue. Avoid keeping alcohol or drugs around you to remove the temptation that may pose directly after a rehab facility stay.
- Sticking to this plan after the first several months post-rehab will make coping much easier for your loved one.
4. Help Them Join And Attend Support Groups
- Encourage them to attend support groups, which can really help a person who may feel like they are alone in their battle. Seeing and talking to others openly about issues that affect victims of addiction can give people the feeling of kinship and understanding they need to tackle daily life with their newfound sobriety.
- Offer to give them a ride to and from the meeting to give them the extra push they might need to attend.
5. Encourage Them To See A Recovery Specialists
- After a patient is released from rehab, they will likely require some post-rehab care overseen by an experience recovery specialist or recovery coach.
- Recovery takes time and effort, and a substance abuse counselor can help make their transition to sober life easier.
- Help your loved one keep their appointments and encourage them to continue treatment even if they feel better shortly after release.
Contact Pathways Real Life Recovery in Utah Today to Learn How We Can Help!
Do you know someone who needs help overcoming addiction post-rehab? If so you can offer them support by following these tips and helping them seek after rehab care from a caring, professional facility like Pathways Real Life Recovery. Their approach is an individualised treatment for each patient from knowledgeable and compassionate staff who are ready to help them get control of their life again. Pathways Real Life Recovery takes most insurance and even offer financing. Contact us today to get more information or to schedule an appointment.
- Rediscover Control This Fall: Your Journey in Our Inpatient Rehabs - October 20, 2023
- Overcoming October Blues: How Our Alcohol and Drug Treatment in Utah Can Help - October 17, 2023
- A Fresh Start Awaits: Discover the Power of Inpatient Drug Rehab to Change Your Life - September 20, 2023